
It is so unreal how certain images can start a flood of memories and feelings the moment you see them. Being 38, wow, I can't believe I am really that old, this was the mainstay for every kid living within a Mom's drive of the beach in the late 70's/early 80's. Remember dragging it across the sand, the shredded chest and stomach from the abrasive, sandpaper surface? Remember having your brother hold it steady in the pool while you ran and jumped on it, starting you off on your lifelong addiction to surfing, and your brother moving it away at the last second? Remember the corners that your dog chewed off when you left it by the pool overnight? Remember when everyday was surfable? We never checked it and said, "No, swell is a little too south today, let's go ." Or, "Man, south wind is on it already, better luck tomorrow." We were ALWAYS on it! Remember the taste of beach nachos? Basically chips with Hormel chili and cheese on them......inevitably sand would always be added later, washed down with a purple slushi? I remember it like it was yesterday, although it has been almost 30 (yikes) years ago.
We took my daughter and her friend to the beach the other day, and they both were dragging their boogie boards across the sand. I was going to tell them to pick em up and carry them, but ended up hoping history would repeat itself, for her sake, or mine.
2 comments:
Dude, that was REALLY well written! That brought back a lot of memories for me, thanks! I think it is really funny that you brought up the beach nachos; everytime I walk by the snack bar at Huntington--whether it is open or not--I get an instant memory rush of those stale-ass tortilla strips and hot sauce packets! Classic.
Thanks. Yeah, nuthin like sandy nachos and aloe vera rubbed on the incredible sunburns. Back then there was no such thing as skin cancer.
Post a Comment