We're not talking about computer programming, folks. I have been a certified open water diver for many years now, but have never gone bug hunting. Bugs are the name given by divers and fisherman for lobsters. The California lobster season opened Friday night, actually Saturday, but everyone usually gets a jump on the opener by diving at midnight. I have always wanted to go, but my dive buddy happens to be my wife (we got certified together) and she is not a 'cold water diver' for sure. We got certified during the month of March, and she has had her fill of 59 degree water. She absolutely loves diving in the tropics though. Luckily for me, my buddy since high school called me up and told me "We're on it, Sunday night!" Nighttime is the best time to hunt lobsters, cuz they come out of their holes to eat. I have my advanced open water rating. It really is not that big of a deal, you just have to do a series of specialty dives with an instructor, and BAM you are considered 'advanced'. I did only one night dive for my rating, and was a little apprehensive about diving in the dark, let alone try to grab alien looking, creepy, spiny, crustaceans that move surprisingly fast. Good news is my buddy, we will call him 'Van', is an ex Navy Seal. It doesn't seem right to consider him an "ex" SEAL, after all the stories he has told me through the years about what he had to go through to become one.....unbelievable, believe me! I just consider him one for life. I have, nor ever will, do something as difficult as he has those years. He spent most of the last decade of last century underwater at night. So who better to take this rookie to nab some bugs on this night.
We pulled up at the spot as it had just got dark. Except for a free diver, we were the only ones there.....oh yeah, except for that couple on the beach who, for some reason, didn't appreciate our flashlights, I wonder why? We suited up, not as easy in the dark, and headed out. I trek out to the water like a medieval knight, and about as graceful. I have on my full suit, booties, gloves, fins, hooded vest,regulator, dive computer, BCD, tank, weights, mask, snorkel, and hanging off my BCD, light, backup light, lobster gauge, catch bag. A graceful entry into the surf was not on the menu, believe me. As we turtleback (kick on your back on the surface to conserve air) out to the site to drop down , we encounter our first nemesis....kelp! Kelp at night you cannot see is not pleasant. It tangles in all your gear, as well as every goddamn thing hanging off your body, of which there was a lot (see above). We drop down. "Shit, coulda used more weight." Visibility is pretty bad. "Keep your eye on Van's light beam, or it will get very lonely, very fast." I have read lobster hunters make lousy dive buddies, because while on the hunt, they aren't thinking about night rookie. "Good thing I have the catch bag, he needs to find me.......if he catches one, don't lose him, Dork!" Before I knew it, he was circling back to me with one in his hand. It was a shorty (lobsters that are too small are called 'short'. You use a metal gauge to determine if the carapace (his back) is just over 3". It takes about 7 years for a lobster to grow big enough to be considered legal.), but he brought it back so I could hold it to get a feel for their power and ability to escape your clutches. The guy was small, but still super powerful. I let him go, and he used his tail to propel him away faster than any fish I had seen. Throughout the next forty minutes he bagged 3 legal keepers for us, but had caught many more they were too young and short. I actually caught 2 myself, but they were too small.
Before we got to the spot, I convinced myself we were going to get skunked, and accepted the fact I would, at least, get to log another night dive and another experience. When I voiced this to Van, he said, "Aw fuck that! I have never been skunked, and I am not about to start tonight!" Well, thanks to him, we are eating turf and surf tonight!! Thanks again, man.....you are a stud.
We pulled up at the spot as it had just got dark. Except for a free diver, we were the only ones there.....oh yeah, except for that couple on the beach who, for some reason, didn't appreciate our flashlights, I wonder why? We suited up, not as easy in the dark, and headed out. I trek out to the water like a medieval knight, and about as graceful. I have on my full suit, booties, gloves, fins, hooded vest,regulator, dive computer, BCD, tank, weights, mask, snorkel, and hanging off my BCD, light, backup light, lobster gauge, catch bag. A graceful entry into the surf was not on the menu, believe me. As we turtleback (kick on your back on the surface to conserve air) out to the site to drop down , we encounter our first nemesis....kelp! Kelp at night you cannot see is not pleasant. It tangles in all your gear, as well as every goddamn thing hanging off your body, of which there was a lot (see above). We drop down. "Shit, coulda used more weight." Visibility is pretty bad. "Keep your eye on Van's light beam, or it will get very lonely, very fast." I have read lobster hunters make lousy dive buddies, because while on the hunt, they aren't thinking about night rookie. "Good thing I have the catch bag, he needs to find me.......if he catches one, don't lose him, Dork!" Before I knew it, he was circling back to me with one in his hand. It was a shorty (lobsters that are too small are called 'short'. You use a metal gauge to determine if the carapace (his back) is just over 3". It takes about 7 years for a lobster to grow big enough to be considered legal.), but he brought it back so I could hold it to get a feel for their power and ability to escape your clutches. The guy was small, but still super powerful. I let him go, and he used his tail to propel him away faster than any fish I had seen. Throughout the next forty minutes he bagged 3 legal keepers for us, but had caught many more they were too young and short. I actually caught 2 myself, but they were too small.
Before we got to the spot, I convinced myself we were going to get skunked, and accepted the fact I would, at least, get to log another night dive and another experience. When I voiced this to Van, he said, "Aw fuck that! I have never been skunked, and I am not about to start tonight!" Well, thanks to him, we are eating turf and surf tonight!! Thanks again, man.....you are a stud.
I read that if you photograph your bug with your arms stretched away from your body, they look bigger, and these photos are proof, doesn't he look HUGE!
Macro setting on the camera helps too!
UPDATE!!: He did not die in vain. He was delicious! To all his brothers: I'm coming after you next!
No comments:
Post a Comment