"Yeah, I cut it up and made beer coozies out of it."
"Very funny."...wait a minute...Rip Curl beer coozies made out of old wetsuits...hmmm...oh yeah, I have pissed in those suits about 200 times, never mind...I digress.
The water is cold. Cold cold. Like Santa Cruz in the summertime cold. When it comes to cold water, I am the biggest puss, everyone I know, knows it. I almost never took off my fullsuit all summer. As everyone around me was trunkin it on the warmest of days, I actually only had to put on my 2 mil, short sleeve full.
Fall is definitely here, and hopefully winter is right around the corner. I hate cold water, ice cream headaches, stinging appendages, numb feet that feel like dead stumps, shaky, numb, fingers that can't work the key to unlock the truck, and that first trickle of icy sea water that sneaks into the neckline of your wetsuit and sadistically runs down your back after that first duckdive. (I have chicken skin just thinking about it.) But with winter comes west swells, peaky beachbreaks, smaller crowds, fewer yuppies with funboards flailing in the impact zone, lobster diving (yumm), jeans, hoodies, post session hot coffee, hot water jug parking lot showers, and BOOTIES! Why do we feel it is so much safer to pull in to monster closeout tubes, that we never usually would, just because we have a thin layer of neoprene on our feet? During winter it is as if all of my senses are heightened. The air smells cleaner, the breeze feels crisper, breakfast burritos taste better, and you can actually see that island 26 miles away that has been hiding in the smog for months.
All that said, "Winter, take your time. Fall still owes me some south swell and offshore Santa Ana winds."
No comments:
Post a Comment