Well, it's been exactly one month since I started my quest to snowboard. A month ago, I swear, I couldn't ride the bunny slope without falling. I shit you not, sitting at the top of the super beginner slope, my heart raced, I sweat just at the thought of falling once again as tiny kids flew by me laughing and shredding. After three trips to the slopes, I felt accomplished enough to actually have friends go with me. I wanted to be able to at least have the basics down first, before I ruined other's time by having to wait for me to repeatedly pick myself up and brush all the snow off. I went today with my manager Chuck and a guy that worked for me years ago, Ian (Woody). Both of these guys are really accomplished snowboarders I would put at about the top 20 percent, skillwise, of everybody on the slopes at any given day. They gave me a sort of 'Baptism of Fire' by taking me to the top of the mountain after they saw I had the basics down. I hated them at the top, but after reaching the bottom without falling, high fives were handed out and beers were necessary.
View from the top off the back of the peak
View from the Bar
One of my favorite new runs I wouldn't have attempted before today, The Accelerator
I recorded my last run on the Learning Curve run. It is not quite as shaky as the last one, and I actually hit a little jump. Shaun White, I am not.....yet.
11 comments:
Saturday shall be the real test though. I'm boarding with Ian. I got a feeling I'm about to be very humbled.
Why is your bro going to humble you? Has he been snowboarding more than you have? Anyway that was an awesome ride and you were so happy! It took a lot of courage to down down the top slope with the guys that are much better than you (per you) AND YOU MADE IT!!! Very proud of you! I know Ian and group are going up with Jackie and Greg -- are you staying with them too or do you have to go back down the hill. Does Meghan want to learn how to snowboard now?
Ian's been snowboarding since college, I think. Not regularly, but for a long time. I'm going up there to snowboard with him this weekend. I have to work that night. And yes, Meghan wants to try it, Dawn is still undecided.
How did you get your camera to film in slow motion like that? :-). Mark
Mark, that's as fast as I can run downhill without tripping. \nnn/. You now have an open invitation. Lemme know which Monday or Tuesday you wanna go.
Mark: HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
"Hello, WINNING anyone? Bu-ring it!"
Just kidding, I can't get that sheen phrase outa my head!
It's gonna be a blast dude! I may have started back in college, but I have only been 1 time in the last 10 years!
You got the basics down, now speed is just a function of confidence. Can't wait!
My favorite Charlie Sheenism is, "My success rate is 100%, do the math." Or maybe, "I will love you, violently."
You two have a great time, but I don't want to get a phone call or email telling me both my sons have a broken bone or teeth out!! Hey, is Greg going snowboarding too? I want pictures!!
No, Greg and Jackie don't ski or snowboard and have no desire to start. It's just going to be Sean and me on the slopes, and then Tyler, Alexis and Brooke are going to be in snowboarding school with a bunch of other 4 - 7 year olds.
Post a Comment