Thursday, July 2, 2009

How Much Beer Would Two Brothers Drink, If Two Brothers Could Drink Beer

On the way back from Magic Mountain the other night, Ian called and asked us if we wanted to join them in the desert for a couple of days of fun by the pool and a round of golf at the Marriott Desert Springs Resort. Yes, the same Desert Springs where I bought a timeshare 12 years ago, and hadn't been there since, and just sold a couple of months ago. (Not my brightest financial move to date.) I realized just why I had never been to my little week in the desert......IT WAS 115 FUCKING DEGREES!! Driving out, Meghan was excited to feel what the hottest temperature she had ever been in would feel like. As we drove out past Riverside, Redlands, Yucaipa, Beaumont, we would watch the thermometer in the car, in the comfort of the air conditioning, and yell out whenever it ticked up. 90, 95, 100, 101, 105, make the turn into Palm Springs, 115! Wait, WTF! "Meghan, touch your window." "Daddy, I'm scared."

The pool was awesome....as long as you stayed in it. Ian and I had brought a couple of ice chests full of beer to drink at the pool. So Sunday, after we arrived and waited for our rooms to be ready to check in, we decided to take the gang to the pool. With Coors lights in hand, and a few in the bag for later, we headed for the pool, where we shortly thereafter met Mr. Jr. security guard who told us we couldn't bring outside drinks/food to pool area. And with a can of beer costing $6.25, I can understand why. So we chugged. As we chugged, he examined Michelle's Beach bag. We got to relive college and chug a few more ice cold silver bullets, those beers might not be going to the pool area in cans, but they WERE going to the pool area! Good news is he said they only checked on the weekends, and on weekdays it was don't ask, don't tell policy, so Monday we were, shall we say, feeling 'nice' as we floated on our rafts in the luke warm pool. It's funny how when it is 110, luke warm is refreshing. Kids had a great time, adults had a great time, and even though I slathered on enough sunscreen to protect the entire population of Ireland, I actually went from wintertime pasty white to more of an off white, swiss coffee color. (Swiss coffee is that color they paint apartments and condos interior walls.) Ian and I actually got a break in the heat when we played golf. A cloud cover moved in from the nearby thunderstorms, and even dropped a few sprinkles on us. The Hotel from the golf course
Ian getting ready to three putt.

What form! No, really, what form?


Hey, you can only put on and take off a glove in 110 degree weather so many times before it gets unbearable. I'll take my chances with the calluses. Luckily, very luckily, no people at the pool across the lake were harmed with this shot.
A funny side note, our rooms were right above the restaurant we were going to dinner. The kids all wanted to ride the boat to dinner, OK, me too, so we walked all the way to the lobby to catch the boat and take it back to our room to go to dinner. Kids, OK me too, had a blast at the bennihana style Mikado restaurant.

We got to Corona and it was 80. We all rolled our window down, and couldn't believe how cool and refreshing 80 degrees can be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

115 degrees -- SHIT says Mom!! I agree with Meghan -- I'm scared!! That was really funny. We laughed and laughed at all your comments. I agree with you -- the boat is the best way to start any dinner!! Looks like the golf course could use a little bit of heat relief too!! Glad you all had a great time. Now you know why we were only there once after buying the timeshare but we did like the boat and Bennihana type restaurant too.

Love Mom & Dad

Murf said...

Mom said 'SHIT', huh huh

Yeah, the golf course was showing it's lack of care. I think summer is the off season, so maintenance is limited. Prolly why it only cost $10 to play.