Saturday, May 2, 2009

'I'm not really a farmer, I'm a freshman'

Right before we embarked on this 'Biggest Loser' challenge, I had heard about, and started reading a book called The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. It is a surprisingly good read. He traces four meals from the table back to where they originated. He compares and contrasts the evolution of food throughout the years. There is so much information packed into this book. Let's just say you will never look at corn the same way. I got to thinking about how easily I had grown accustomed to just shoving food in my mouth without actually thinking about what I was ingesting. I wouldn't inject myself with a needle I didn't know what was in it, or smoke anything someone gave me, but cruise through the drive thru window, no problem, yum! I won't go into detail about all the things in this book, because I never want to be THAT GUY, but a lot of the information about today's choices of food is mind blowing. I have given up red meat, although last week I ate steak at Ian's, cuz again, I didn't want to be THAT GUY, oh and it was delicious, Ian. I am by no means turning vegetarian, it's not about that, and I would eat beef from places like Harris Ranch or Parker Ranch in a second, but not from the many feed lots now used to bring America quick, tasty, inexpensive beef. Anyhoo, I digress. In an experiment/adventure, I have always wanted to plant a garden. And now, after clearing out the side yard...finally, I have started just that. It should be a lot of fun and educational for Meghan. Besides, our salads won't have to travel hundreds of miles to get here. I made my decision after seeing the garden the kids have growing at Meghan's school. Hey, if a bunch of snot nosed, crumb crunchers can grow food, why can't I? Last week I planted 3 different kinds of lettuce, green beans, spinach, zucchini, hook neck yellow squash, carrots, a bunch of tomatoes, pablamo peppers, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, and of course strawberries. Added to the oranges, limes, and lemon trees you all have already seen. Half of them were seeds, and the other half were sprouts (I had to see at least some kind of greenery in my garden, instant gratification, right? Who has 7-10 days to wait for results of the seeds to germinate and sprout, right? I'm still learning about patience. Did they grow yet? Did they grow yet?



The sprouts I planted last week
Jalapeno and Pablamo peppers

And of course, Strawberries!!


I will post more pics in the upcoming weeks.




4 comments:

Ian said...

You ate my steak because you didn't want to be "that guy"? This was no more than 1 week after we had BBQ ribs at su casa!

You gotta give me more info on this book, I wanna check it out.

Can't wait to taste those jalapenos!

scubaduba said...

Be sure you completely replace all your dirt with organic, unpolluted dirt (developers put in shit dirt from toxic waste dumps)or you will be duplicating the crap that's grown in the Valley or on the plains! Just go to whole foods and crack an organic beer! Actually, I'm proud you are giving food serious attention. Meggie will benefit. The one variable not in the equation is genetics! Some folks are born to eat cheeseburgers and live to be 110, and some can be vegetarians even vegans, and die of three types of cancer at 30. Sometimes ya has ta just take yer best shot and hope for the best! Good luck! Love, Mr. Whopper aka Mr. Know-it-all

Murf said...

Ian
We ate BBQ pork ribs. Unless the pigs get sunburnt, its not considered red meat. It's called the same as my nickname in college 'the other white meat'. I didn't tell anyone cuz I didn't want people to change menu/plans around just me.

Scubaduba (great name BTW)
Yeah, this book goes into just that about the soil. I think I will devote a post to it, just didn't want to bore everyone with the neo hippie stuff. The good thing about the book is that I can't really find an agenda, except, I guess selling books, right? There's no pro vegan stance, no 'organic only' position, in fact he investigates the new Industrial Organic market and sheds light on just how leanient the guidelines are to be called Certified Organic.

Great book though.

Ian said...

Then I really need to read this book because I don't have a grasp on why Pork is better than red meat (my nickname in college). I know, shocking coming from the dude that reads Men's Health and works out quite a bit.