Thursday, June 17, 2010

Maybe it was coming of age in the late 1980's, or maybe delivering all those pizzas to all those uber rich people in Villa Park all those years. You know, the huge houses, the two Mercedes in the driveway with the Italian sports car in the garage. Maybe it was watching all of the kids from Villa Park graduate at our football field while their brand new graduation gifts were being wrapped with a big bow in the parking lot. Whatever it was, I was infatuated by monetary wealth. I was going to get my business degree, and set the world on fire. I was going to buy everything I ever wanted. I was going to be a stock broker like Gordon Gekko in 1987's movie Wall Street (hell, I already have really good hair), hopefully without the going to prison part. (Great, ruin the ending, Sean).

I graduated college during the last recession in 1995, and was offered many low paying, foot in the door, jobs with many brokerage houses. 'Wall Street' became 'Boiler Room' . I couldn't stomach the thought of calling old people to invest money they had worked their entire lives for, so I may, or may not lose it. Thankfully the opportunity to open the shop came my way and we just turned 15. I'm not rich, but I'm happy and comfortable. Ironically, I married a girl that went to Villa Park High School, but lived on the 'other side of the tracks' and wasn't spoiled or rich, as many of her friends were.

Ever since, I haven't been envious of any one's material possessions (besides a couple of guys quiver of surfboards). Instead, I find myself jealous of people who can chuck it all and nut up and follow their dreams. It's kinda funny, because people tell me I did just that. but I guess it seems different from the inside looking out. Grass is always greener I guess.

I just came across this story of Jim Banks. He was a top contest surfer when I started surfing, and I hadn't heard about him since, he just disappeared. Seems he didn't, he just followed his dream. Most recently, he is exploring the 4000km of southern Indo for six months, riding the best waves in the world. You can actually book a two week leg to join him on his Odyssey. Father's Day is coming up, right? You can follow his journey with day to day pictures and journal entries at http://www.indo-odyssey.com/ Don't worry, I'm not going to go Harrison Ford in Mosquito Coast up in here. (Damn, I sure do like movie references, huh?)

Gotta say, he has great taste in music too.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how you educate me with your blogs. I guess your next surfboard will be a Jim Banks one since is has "a certain magic"!!

His is surely a special life. I only home the children can adjust as they get older to moving to such remote places.

Thanks for the good time watching the videos.

scubaduba said...

You have learned well, Grasshoppah! Now, try to take the pebble from my hand...

I guess out here on this (very pretty) rock in the middle of the Pacific, your idea of exotic and far away shrinks somewhat. My idea of an Indo surf sesh is to finally go surf, or try to, the North Shore! Oh, that's right, I actually CAN! Cowabunga, Dude! -A fellow rich guy.