Friday, November 6, 2009

Break out the flannel sheets and shirts, winter has arrived, at least at the beach, at sunrise. As we move ever closer to December, it gets harder and harder to crawl out of my warm bed, and into the dark, cold morning. We have had a pretty bad run of waves this last week. Small ankle biters, coupled with huge morning high tides, don't make for a good argument to leave the bed I just took hours to warm up.

Met Ian for a dawn patrol session today at RJ's. We knew it was going to be small, but with a nice sized swell looming for the weekend and next week, I needed to shake the paddling rust off. I can feel myself get fatter the last week I didn't surf. Waves were just as advertised, small and week, but at least it was a really cool sunrise and the wind shifted offshore. Broke out the earplugs, the first time this season. I try to keep the cold water and cold wind from my inner ear canal, to try to avoid the dreaded drilling out the calcium buildup years of cold water and wind create in there. Just ordered a new winter 4mm wetsuit, should be here soon. No word yet on the repair to the twinzer, should probably call them. Picking Meghan up today from her return from outdoor science camp/school. Hope she had a great week. I know Dawn and I did, three date nights in one week, but we both really missed her.

Next week should be good, I'll let you know.

No comments: