Thursday, August 6, 2009
Ahoy Matey
Mark increased his lead in the 'Race of Certifications', let's see, diving..check, piloting..check, etc. (Although, he doesn't have a PADI card. He has this 'Special Warfare Underwater Operations' certification thing instead, whatever.) Mark recently got certified to sail in a sailing club here in Newport Beach. It is a lot like Aventura that Dad belonged to back in the day. We have been trying to get together and go sailing for a few weeks. Damn jobs keeps getting in our ways. I'm tellin you, life would be so much easier and better without those damn things! The stars finally aligned, and we got to go yesterday. And in my quest to add to the list of things Meghan did on her summer vacation, I dragged her along, although she did want to go, and loved it. I had gone on these small sailboats with Dad's sailing club decades ago, so I pretty much new what to expect, about a 25 foot, well used trainer. What I didn't know is that that is not how Van Meter rolls. We are walking down the dock and he jumps on this 38 foot motor sail. I almost yelled, "Dude, I know you're a cop and all, but you can't just jump on people's yachts. They WILL get pissed." And then he says this is the club's boat. Totally Stylin!!
Poetic name coincidence
2 comments:
WOW!!! That is really great. Of course now I know you will take me sailing in a few months, right?? You can't let Mark get ahead of you.
I am so impressed with Meghan jumping off the boat WITHOUT A LIFE PRESERVER!!! Does Dawn know about this??
Looks like you had an awesome time. Thanks for all the great pictures.
Oh, I don't think I will take up sailing any time soon. It is a huge block of time to actually enjoy it. I can surf for a couple of hours, golf takes 4-5 hours, but sailing is an all day deal. 5-6 hours to get to catalina, maybe because I am spoiled by 20 min plane flights there. haha. Meghan really surprised me by jumping off. She did it once, but it was a lot colder than Nana's house.
Post a Comment