Tonight was Meghan's first game of summer league. Her first chance to play against other schools' varsity team, after all of one day of practice with HER new team. She couldn't sleep last night, because of how nervous she was for tonight. "Dad, these are almost WOMEN, almost ADULTS!" I had to go into work for a catering order, but promised I would be there when she played. "You don't have to, Dad. There is 25 girls on our squad, I'm just a freshman, and I probably won't even play." "That's OK, i don't have to work all night, and I wanna watch."
I walked into the gym, and thought I was somehow in the wrong gym; these girls were huge......and powerful! I hadn't heard that thump sound of a hand on a volleyball before at ANY of Meghan's tournaments. I don't know who was more nervous; me, Dawn, or Meghan. I kept reassuring myself that this would be good for her to at least be surrounded by volleyball played at this level, even if she doesn't play.
The teams took the court, and I looked at the lineup of Meghan's teammates on the floor, and Oh Shit, she's starting! Now I started feeling kind of sick and even more nervous for her......right up to the point where she killed it! She totally competed at a level I hadn't seen before. Dawn and I looked at each other and were stoked and surprised. Dawn said, " I guess that answers our questions about varsity."
She didn't dominate the competition, but she totally looked right at home and she belonged on the court with those girls; girls that drove themselves to the game; girls that will be going to college next year; girls that have gone to proms.
Meghan's friends from her Goldenwest team also did an amazing job.
This is just the first game of summer league, so we aren't reading too much into it, or how it will relate to how the school season will go. There are way more girls on the summer team than will be on the varsity team, but so far so good.
Here is a short video of some of her highlights shot on my iPhone, so excuse the quality. She is the tall, skinny girl in the blue shirt. The last few clips are of her serving. She never served on her Goldenwest team. Erica would only make her play the front row, then sub out until her sub got to the front again in the rotation.
No comments:
Post a Comment