Monday, December 7, 2009

So I'm having a bit of a difficult time turning forty, not physically, but mentally. Physically, I feel I am in as good a shape as I have been in the last twenty years. I can still surf four hour sessions. I can still surf consecutive days for weeks on end. It is the realization that I am not getting any younger, and I will only be getting older everyday from here on out. My twenties and thirties seemed like age was irrelevant. I was just cruising, not actually aging. Now forty, forty seems old. Forty seems like Dad status. Forty is people calling me 'sir'. Forty is gray hair. Forty is prostate exams. Forty is responsibility, real responsibilities like retirement and putting your parents in an old folks home and living in their Hawaiian hideaway. (Hi Mom and Dad.) Forty is not far from being those douchebags in the stupid bathtubs, popping Cialis. BTW, what the hell does maintaining an erection have to do with taking a bath next to your wife on a cliff?! I actually looked at a colon cleanser the other day, and quickly put it back on the shelf. Maybe when I'm in my forties, I thought.





So I wanted to do something completely selfish for my fortieth birthday. I will be surfing my first couple of dozen surf sessions as a forty year old in the warm, clear waters of Nicaragua with my younger brother (he will still be in his thirties). We are booked at the Popoyo Surf Lodge. We will be staying there from May 22-May 29. Check out the link provided and 'surf' around their site. The place looks pretty awesome. Friends of mine have stayed a couple of times and really enjoyed it. No wives, no kids, just surfing, eating, surfing, drinking, surfing, fishing, and did I mention surfing?



Gotta love the Typical Schedule. If there is a heaven, this is my schedule there.

Nica is much more primitive than Costa Rica, and I don't think the girls would enjoy it all that much. This is one of the reasons we got the free pass to go. We will make it up to them by taking a nice vacation to someplace like Hawaii this summer. Now if only I knew someone with a big, brand new house in Hawaii that would exchange boarding for Christmas for boarding in the summer. Damn, I can't think of anyone. I must be getting close to forty, the mind is the second thing to go, you know. Good thing I got my Cialis for the first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've got free room and board in HI anytime you want!!!!!!!!!!!! Aren't you lucky?!?!?!? Even a golf course in the backyard and surfing beach a few miles away!!